Basic Literacy Program Internships
Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34 PM
Department: Adult Basic Education (ABE)
Salary Range: Successful interns receive $500 as well as a letter of recommendation from Literacy Network
We are recruiting interns to oversee our Basic Literacy (SCALE) program sessions these semesters:
- For Fall semester 2017, apply before August 6
- Training will be Thursday, Sept 12, 6:00-8:00pm
- Fall semester is Sept 23-Dec 16
- For Spring 2018, apply before November 27
- Training will be Tuesday, Jan 9, 6:00-8:00pm
- Spring semester is Jan 22-May 12
- For Summer semester 2018, apply before April 15
- Training will be Tuesday, May 22, 6:00-8:00pm
- Summer semester is June 4-Aug 25
This internship is a great way to sharpen your managerial, organizational and communication skills while helping those in need. Interns manage our Skills in Computers and Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program, which provides one-to-one tutoring for adults hoping to build basic writing, reading, computer literacy, and employability skills. Lessons will offer direct instruction in literacy, computers and ongoing development of a career portfolio. We hire interns for each of the following sessions (be sure to indicate for which you are applying):
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane St)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
Qualifications and Commitment
- Write eight personalized, meaningful, goal-based lesson plans for each student. Lessons will be delivered by volunteer tutors and will focus on computer skills and reading comprehension. Lessons will develop career-oriented goals, writing for communication and development of a career portfolio.
- Make reminder phone calls to students.
- Provide support for volunteer tutors during lessons.
- Tutor adult literacy students individually when needed.
- Collect accurate and timely data related to the SCALE program.
- Manage the tutoring site (arrange room, set up computer workstations, return materials to library after session).
- Provide computer technology assistance when needed.
- Maintain learners' employment portfolios.
- Ideal interns will have experience and/or training in lesson planning and instruction for adult learners. Interns must be able to teach basic computer skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet and email.
- Attend Intern Training
- Commit to working 8-10 hours weekly (no absences) the entire semester
- Attendance at all weekly sessions over the semester are required, with 6-8 additional hours each week creating lesson plans at Literacy Network.
If interested and qualified please use your cover letter & resume to outline relevant experience/qualifications (don't forget to include for which session/s you are applying) and submit using the form below or mail to the address listed below.
Ms. Shawn Steen
701 Dane Street
Madison WI 53713